• Français
  • Inuktitut
  • Inuinnaqtun

Bella Kapolak and Alec Kapolak.


Approximately 400 babies are delivered each year at the Qikiqtani General Hospital in Iqaluit which serves the entire territory.


Are the advertised Nunavut Nurse jobs full-time?

Nunavut has openings for full-time and “term” nurses. Most openings are full-time. If the advertisement is for a "term” position this information will be included in the individual job advertisement. The number of months or years will be specified.

Will I have trouble finding a place to live?

Most nurses live initially in government subsidized furnished apartments. Monthly rent is deducted from the employee’s pay. Ask the Nurse Recruiter about housing options in the community with the vacancy that interests you.

How cold does it get in winter?

Owing to the vast size of the territory, there are great variations in the weather. Winters can be severe – the northernmost community of Grise Fiord has a mean January temperature of -35ºC (-31ºF) and a mean July temperature of 10ºC (50ºF). Summers are milder, but the temperature can drop suddenly. In many communities a summer day may reach temperatures of 20°C (68°F) or higher. Check the Weather Network online for temperatures in the community you are considering.

Conditions in all parts of the territory can become hazardous when there is a combination of a low temperature and a strong wind. Local advice concerning weather conditions should be followed very carefully. The summer months are suitable for a wide range of activities.

My partner/spouse needs a job. Is that going to be a problem?

The availability of employment varies by the size of the community. Larger communities have more jobs, requiring a wider variety of skills. Jobs for teachers, allied health professionals and tradesmen are frequently available. Check the Government of Nunavut’s current job vacancies or other advertised jobs by clicking on the links below.



Will my children be able to go to school near where I work?

Most Nunavut communities have schools that accommodate K-12. In smaller communities schools are within easy walking distance of all services, including the health centres. In larger communities school buses take students from home to school and back each day. For more information on schools in the community that interests you ask the Nurse Recruiter to provide the local school’s contact information.

Are there French language programs in the schools?

Iqaluit has immersion French language education from K-9. Education in the French language is not available in other Nunavut communities.

Is day care available?

Day care is available in most communities. However, there may be a waiting list for day care services in some communities. Ask the Nurse Recruiter for more information.

Is it dark all winter?

That depends on where you live. In the High Arctic, the community of Resolute has 24 hours of complete darkness for three months from around November 6 to February 5. In contrast, in Rankin Inlet there are at least three hours of daylight even in the depth of winter. Of course in Nunavut these dark days do have an added bonus. The magnificent Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis, light up the sky. Some people visit here in winter, just to witness this remarkable spectacle.

Is there regular mail service?

Every community has regular mail service. There is no home delivery. Hours of service may vary by community. All mail is carried by air.

Will there be a bank where I live?

Three communities in Nunavut have bank branches within the community. The CIBC has branches in Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet. The Royal Bank has branches in Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet and Cambridge Bay. Almost all communities have ATMs at the Northern Store or Coop. Bank customers in communities without a bank branch do their banking by telephone or over the Internet. Many residents have their personal bank account at a branch outside Nunavut allowing them to maintain a long-standing banking relationship.

What about entertainment and recreation?

In larger communities like Iqaluit there is a movie theatre, sports events, local productions of plays, music concerts, special interest clubs and bars with entertainment. However, most Nunavut residents have learned to make their own entertainment with dinner parties, games nights and home-based social events.

In smaller communities sports events are common and community feasts are held on special occasions. Every community has recreational facilities. Most include gyms in the schools and hockey rinks. Larger communities have fitness centres and other facilities.

Outdoor recreation includes fishing, hunting and hiking.

Can I get cable TV?

Cable TV service is available in all communities through local service providers.

Can I get high speed Internet?

High speed Internet service (wireless) is available in all communities through local service providers.

Can I bring my car or truck?

There are no roads that connect Nunavut communities to southern Canada. Cars and trucks can be shipped to most communities on the annual sealift. Most people in smaller communities do not have a car or truck. However many residents have a snow machine or an ATV (or both). In larger centers like Iqaluit and Rankin Inlet many people own a car or truck.

Are there bars in Nunavut communities?

There are licenced establishments in Iqaluit, Rankin Inlet and Cambridge Bay.

Can I buy wine or beer in my community?

There are three categories of communities in Nunavut when it comes to liquor possession and consumption. There are communities where liquor is prohibited, communities where it is restricted to persons who have permission from the community’s Alcohol Education Committee and unrestricted communities where liquor can be purchased and used subject to the provisions of the Nunavut Liquor Control Act. The community designation is a matter of community choice.

There are no retail liquor stores in Nunavut. Alcohol for personal consumption must be ordered from the Nunavut Liquor Commission or brought in under permit.

Will I be able to work in English?

Nunavut has three official languages – the Inuit language (most commonly Inuktitut and Inuinnaqtun), English and French. Generally, health services are provided in English and translation services are provided for those wishing to receive services in the Inuit language or French.

Will I be able to work in French?

None of our health facilities currently use French as its working language.

Who polices the communities?

The RCMP provides policing services in all communities. Some communities also have By-Law officers who enforce local By-Laws.